Monday, May 25, 2009

Our Rainy Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day weekend always heralds the opening of our family cabin up near Oakley, Utah. Because we had some family coming in from out of town (we had 17 people total up there), a few of us planned on sleeping in tents on our property. Besides, I bought a new tent last summer that I have been dying to use (it worked great too!). We closely watched the weather all week leading up to the weekend. Things were looking like they would be a little wet, then the weatherman said it looked like the storms would miss us.

We set up our tents right next to the cabin. My cute and silly grandpa even brought out some scrap pieces of carpet so we didn't have to walk on the dirt. We had three tents. The orange and black one slept Caroline and her family. The white and blue one is my cute new tent. The red one that you can barely see in the bottom picture is Hyrum's old tent. Rachel slept in this one.



So lets just say the weather didn’t cooperate. It didn’t start to rain until after we all went to bed the first night though which was nice. It did make sleeping outside a bit colder though. The boys didn’t appreciate the pitter-patter of the rain or the coldness which also made for some fun. It was a very long night with multiple interruptions with kids and babies, but we made it through in one piece without getting too wet. The ground was so muddy that walking on it your shoes would stick to it if you weren’t careful. I think my shoes gained a pound each the first time I had to walk in the mud. Too bad I didn’t take pictures of my shoes. They now get to go through the washer. I hope they survive.

Caroline decided one night was enough for the boys – and that everyone else could use some peace and quiet because Scooter has found his screeching voice. There were only three tent dwellers left – me, Elizabeth and my niece Sarah. We all decided with the rain and mud it wasn’t worth staying in the tent one more night so we found beds inside that would work for us. I slept so much better. It was warm and dry (and no scary animal sounds outside…). Besides, the sky was threatening to open up again.

My car did get to its four wheel drive a little over the weekend. My father drove it up a “path” to our campsite. So silly. Thank heavens it didn’t get stuck. The wheels did get quite muddy, but will wash.

No comments: