Monday, May 11, 2009

My 27 Hour Surprise Distraction

So I know we all have those times in our lives when we feel like we are being stretched farther than we are able to bear. Lately, I feel like I am being stretched so hard that I am going to break. It is not just one area of my life that I am being stretched in either – it is pretty much everywhere. Money, my health, money, my job, money, health insurance, and did I say money? To say I am stressed out would be a huge understatement.

On Friday morning I had some injections in my jaw. This was done under conscious sedation and I was given some nice pain pills for the recovery. I was told to take it easy and no chewing for three weeks!!!!! Perfect for someone who clenches their jaw when they are stressed – oh and is a stress eater. (By the way….this isn’t covered by insurance because it is in the jaw…nice right? Who knew?) Later in the day, I received a phone call which gave me hope for a break from the stress. My cousin and great friend Alison, called to tell me she was flying up from Arizona for 27 hours.

Alison has a way of making everything better. Not that I forgot what was on my mind, but I was able to set it aside for a few hours and take a much needed break. I picked Alison up from the Airport and we immediately went to look at dishes at Macy’s. It was oodles of fun. I LOVE Fiesta ware and I wanted her opinion on some color combinations. We then went to visit grandma for a few minutes before hitting Glaus bakery (yum!). Then it was off to home to visit everyone else. We all went out to dinner to the Training Table (Alison’s favorite) then the girls went to a movie.
We ended up staying up way too late on Saturday night because of some drama with grandma, so we slept in on Sunday. We didn’t have too much time to sit and talk, but the distraction was more than I could have asked for. She is struggling with some things in her life too, but has the best attitude about it. She is the greatest example to me of how one should treat others! Just love that girl!!!!! When I dropped her off at the airport on Sunday, I just lost it. I just cried. She has always given me so much. She has finals this week, yet she flew up here to be with me. She is having financial issues of her own, yet she comes to visit me. I love that girl and am eternally grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who brought us together at at BYU. A loving Heavenly Father who quietly whispered in my ear to fill out an application for a summer job what really changed my life and our relationship. Alison...I love you honey and I am so grateful for your love and friendship. Thank you!

No comments: