Friday, February 27, 2009

Sarah, A Self Portrait

I know I have talked about my grandparents before, but I must say again how blessed I am to have them in my life. Today I brought the girls to visit my grandparents. The girls immediately went to grandpa’s work room where he was working on a painting. My grandfather is an extremely talented painter, carver, jewelry maker, rock polisher, … you name it, he can probably do it. He gets in his mind something he wants to try and he tries. He is incredible! He lets them play with his clay. They love to create new things. There are several of their clay creations from past visits on display in grandpa's work room. While they played, I sat and visited with grandma about all of the usual things. I am so blessed!

After about 45 minutes, grandpa emerged from his work room. He looked a little tired. I can’t say that I blame him – he had been entertaining the girls all by himself. Although I love to visit my grandparents, we were there on an errand and it was time to get it done. Grandpa and I got to work.

When grandpa and I were finished, we went to check on the girls. It was only then that I discovered what grandpa and the girls had been doing while grandma and I had been visiting. Rachel was excited to show me her clay “Stonehenge" and Sarah had a masterpiece with her self portrait done with oil paints. Of all the days to forget my camera! I did use my cell phone to capture one picture. My cute grandpa is so patient. He taught Sarah something new today which I am sure she will remember for the rest of her life.


This picture is actually 2 years old. Grandpa painted a picture of each of the girls. He was letting Sarah watch as he put in some of the fine details.

So imagine Sarah wearing grandpa's magnifying glasses (as seen above on grandpa). Grandpa also had her put on latex gloves to keep her hands clean. Seriously....it was so cute. Here is her self portrait. She even signed her name in the bottom left corner. I wish I could capture her explaining all about it. Perhaps it is an abstract self portrait. All I know, is Sarah painted it. What do you think? Do we have the beginnings of a famous artist on our hands?

No comments: