Thursday, January 1, 2009

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

I’ve been quite the slacker for the past month or so with my blogging. December came and went before I even realized it. With it being the first of the year, I thought I would at least post a little something from the past few weeks. Please forgive me if I jump around a little as I try to catch up.

Christmas was amazing like always. My mom always seems to teach me something new about Christmas that gives new meaning to the nativity or to a symbol of the season. This year I learned more about swaddling clothes. I have always loved the nativity. Last year I purchased my own and I love it! My mom has several different nativities which she sets up every year and this year was no exception. We even had two sets for the kids. There was an article in the Mormon Times, a section of the Deseret News, on December 19th entitled Re-examining the Nativity. The author was reviewing a book written by Donna B Nielsen entitled “Beloved Bridegroom: Finding Christ in Ancient Jewish Marriage and Family Customs.” The article tells us that a swaddling band was a ribbon-like embroidered cloth that tied together a husband and wife’s right hands at their wedding. This band is then used to tightly wrap their children as a form of comfort. Being a NICU nurse, I understand the importance of containment a baby feels when being bundled. I always thought that is why Christ was swaddled. While I am sure the swaddling bands helped do this, I now understand they meant so much more. The thing I found most interesting, however, was swaddling was also seen as a promise that the parents would raise the child to live a righteous life. The scriptures are literally telling us that Mary and Joseph were promising that they were going to do all that they could to raise their child up righteously.

Trying to find the right gift to give some members of my family is extremely difficult. I always enjoy watching the looks on their faces when they open them though – whether it is a pair of practical pants or a fun piece of jewelry. I had the best time putting together a gift for my father this year. My dad has so many things going on in his life right now. He sometimes has three or four places he is supposed to be at once. He is doing really well to not seem stressed, but you can tell he is. He has been saying for quite some time he wanted to update the pictures he has of us at his office. I have wanted to get him a digital picture frame since they first came out, but they were so expensive! This year, I finally found him one. I spent several weeks collecting pictures. I found pictures from his entire lifetime – and even some from before he was born. I found many of me and my sisters as we were growing up. I spent hours scanning and cropping and fixing. I had so much fun. I of course added oodles of digital pictures from the past several years as well. When my dad started looking at it, he had tears in his eyes. Now, you would have to know my dad to know how truly incredible this is. As each picture came up, you could see the amazement in his face. He loved it. The best part about it is we can add to it any time we want to. My dad has already found some he wants me to scan and add for him.
Here are a few of the pictures I scanned in...
My dad's dad faught in France in WWII. Wasn't he handsome?

This is my dad being held by his dad when he was one month old. Here is my dad being dropped off at the mission home to parepare for his mission to New Zealand.
My mom in her wedding dress. This is the picture that was used in the newspaper announcement.
My cute family when we were all much younger. I am not sure what year this was, but I am guessing I was probably 8 or 9 years old.
I can’t believe that it is already 2009. I have a fun sinus infection and really didn’t feel much like partying last night. Maybe part of it was I was sort of lonely (because New Years always does that to me). Elizabeth brought home Mario Kart for my Wii. We played it with Caroline, Hyrum and the girls for a while. We ordered pizza then I headed off to a party where my parents were. Caroline offered to let me take one of the boys with me. He was kind of a grump, but I was so glad he was there (besides he was a pretty cute date don't you think? And he cuddled so well...). I watched the others play games for a while, then we played some Mario Kart. Even mom and dad got in on the action. When midnight came, my cute little nephew woke up so I had to cuddle him. Really, it was a blessing to have him there with me so I wasn’t so lonely. It wasn’t until after I came home that I realized that our plans last night are very similar to last years New Years Eve plans. A stop at the party with mom and dad, then Wii with my family. Weird….only this year my “date” was much cuter and much nicer. Today we had our annual New Years Day Lunch. Grandma and Grandpa say we have to start every year out together. This year we went to Golden Coral. My grandparents like the variety you find at the buffets. Then it was home for more Wii. Yippee.

I must say this past year has flown by. I am grateful every day to be where I am. I have been blessed with an amazing family who takes such great care of me. They have allowed me to heal. I recently went through a period where I was a little bitter and even angry. My family stayed close, listened and encouraged me to remember who I was and who I wanted to be. My mom also frequently reminded me that this was an important step in my grieving process. I really would be lost without them. I have no idea what the next year holds, but I am extremely grateful for my family and friends and the experiences I have had over the past year.

1 comment:

Stephanie Johnson said...

Thanks for sharing so much in this post. I truly hope this year is great. At least it will be tons better than last year, right?!? You have a talent for writing eloquently!