Sunday, January 11, 2009

I Love My Lips

I thought about calling this entry “the tale of two lips” but my sister thought it might make people get the wrong impression. Instead, I took my inspiration from a Veggie Tales Song called "I Love My Lips"since I am writing about two people’s lips. Not that the lyrics have anything to do with my entry, but it has to do with lips.

I will start with one of my sweet little nephews. Since it is the middle of winter, we are in prime cold/flu/sinus muck season. It has been going around our house. Both of my cute little nephews have had it – one much worse than the other however. His nose has turned into a hose. His poor top lip has been all chapped and red. The last few days he is finally starting to feel better. Then on Thursday, he was holding onto a chair in the kitchen right next to me when he let go and landed on his little bottom. He is very good at pulling himself up and walking while holding onto things so this happens all of the time. This time, however, one of his 7 teeth bumped into his bottom lip and cut it open. Poor little guy. I freaked out (yes, the nurse…I am the one who freaked out). His mom stayed calm and took care of it. His lip got all swollen. To add insult to injury, he did it again the next day adding a second little cut right next to it. It looks so much better already though. He is one tough cookie.

look at his lip...ouchy

He wouldn't even look at me so I could take his picture. I think I had wiped his nose too many times or something.

"My lip hurts"


March 19, 1971. This is the date my parents were married. This is also the date my father started growing his mustache. He has had it ever since (literally). I have never known my dad without one. This past September my dad was called to be Bishop in our Ward. We talked about the fact that his mustache would have to go, but nothing was said. Thursday night, my dad was given the talk. It had to go. He was told he needed to be an example to the young men in the ward. My dad is a jokester and found many fun things to say about it, but was obedient and Saturday morning, shaved it off. He now has an upper lip. Ok, he always has had one, but we can now see it. I am so grateful for a father who understands that some things – no matter how difficult – are done because we are asked to do them. My dad is amazing and always has been. I am excited to hear about the reactions he gets at work this week. (His mom even hasn’t noticed yet.)

Here is my cute dad a few months after he was called to be our Bishop

See how happy he was to shave it off?

Really, he was just giving me a hard time because I was trying to take his picture. Here is my handsome dad without his mustache.

Mom and Dad...aren't they cute?

No comments: