Monday, October 6, 2008

Fall...at the Cabin

My family owns a small cabin near the town of Oakley. My great grandmother and her husband purchased the property many years ago. Shortly thereafter, her husband passed away and she sold the property to my grandparents (my mom’s parents). When they purchased it they promised themselves they would not go into debt building on the property…which they have not done. Throughout my life, summer trips to the cabin always involved working or building. I have watched it grow from a small one room cabin, to one that can house my entire family. My grandfather along with help from my father and uncles, helped to build this cabin from the ground up. They did all of the plumbing and electrical work themselves. While there is still some work to be done, we spend many more of our days at the cabin relaxing and enjoying the get-away than we do building. (My grandparents live there for nearly a full month every summer.)


This past weekend, my family went up to the cabin. We have had unusually warm weather this year and the weatherman predicted a cold weekend. With winter coming up, it was time to winterize the cabin. Luckily, we have a nice pellet stove in the cabin to keep us warm. In between rain and hail storms, I was able to take some pictures. I truly do love the fall. The mountains become brilliant with color. The mountain at times looked like a painting. It was slightly surreal. While I was taking some of these pictures, some deer even decided to join me. I took several pictures this weekend in varous places. All in all....incredible sights this weekend!


This is the cabin directly across the street from ours. This is looking towards the south.

As the fog rolls in....

Trees around the cabin.

This was taken while on a drive down the canyon. This is the mountains along the north side of the canyon.

The Weber River flows right through our association's property. We have to drive over it just to get to our cabin. It is always beautiful - no matter what time of year! I used to fish along here when I was younger.

Our visitors. They were within 5 feet of me as I was taking pictures. My nieces put out food for the deer earlier in the day. They ate it all up.




As we were leaving, I had my sister taken this picture (because I was driving). The mountains seriously looked like a painting. Pictures really don't do it justice.

2 comments:

Lindsay Jones said...

Catherine, so glad to find your blog! It will make it so much easier to keep up with you. Love your pics.

Erin said...

Wow what a cool cabin. Mike is going to die when he sees all the pics - he is missing the Utah fall so much right now! I can't believe that picture of the deer!

P.S. No baby yet! My parents fly in tonight.