Saturday, September 20, 2008

My First Quilt

Before I got married, I decided I wanted to make a quilt for our bed. I had made a few tied blankets in the past, but never a quilt. My mom who is an expert at making quilts (and so many other things) told me I needed to start with something simple. She told me, "triangles are too complicated." I made up a very simple design and started buying fabric. I worked on it in my free time (while in nursing school, working full time and trying to plan a wedding).

As our wedding grew nearer, my mom finished a quilt she had been working on for me. I have loved it since she first started making it. It is in the same colors as my quilt so I put mine on hold and used the one from mom. Several times over the next two years my mom would try to encourage me to work on my quilt. (thanks heavens I didn't finish it...) Well...about two months ago, I decided it was time to get working on it. I brought my mom shopping with me and bought a sewing machine. I then had her go with me to find the perfect material for the sashing and back side of my quilt. With my new machine and all of the fabric I needed, I went to work.

I finished the top of the quilt very quickly. I even made two shams and four pillows. I am especially proud of the pillows. I took a few left over quilt blocks and turned them into pillows. I brought the quilt top and back to a local quilt shop to have it professionally quilted. It normally takes about 6 to 8 weeks, but luck was on my side and I was told it would only be about 3. They called me first thing this morning and told me it was finished. It was not due until Tuesday afternoon so I was extremely excited to hear it was finished. I picked it up this afternoon and got to work on the binding.

You know how sometimes you can plan something out so perfectly and then at the last minute something happens that changes everything? Well, that is what happened to me this afternoon. I was getting ready to sew up the binding when I accidently cut into the back of the quilt - in the "binding". I had made the back several inches larger than the front so I could do a simple binding. I was devastated. Mom quickly came to save the day and taught me how to do a true binding. It took a little more time (okay, a couple of hours longer) but I love the finished product. Besides, it taught me a new technique which was fun.

I finished it tonight around 10:00 pm. I immediately put it on my bed. I am currently sleeping in a twin size bed so the quilt is a little large (ok, a LOT large). I designed it for a large double or small queen. It is simple in its design, but I love it. It is mine. I have never had this sense of accomplishment with anything else I have made before. It took a lot of time, and the finished product is something I will use for a lifetime.
The gal who does the machine quilting at the shop I brought it to is amazing! I told them to let her do whatever she wanted to. I love the finished product. Daisy's and stars are two of my favorite things and there are plenty of those on this quilt. Here are a few of the squares from the quilt to show the quilting in more detail. I love it! The best part about it, is it is mine. There is nothing about it whatsoever (except he early plans) related to my husband.



1 comment:

Erin said...

Wow Catherine the quilt is darling! I am so impressed. And the daisies and stars and swirls are very cool as well. They give it a fun and whimsical flavor. Good work on the quilt. You are amazing! If only I knew how to make a quilt like that!