Sunday, September 21, 2008

Grandma's Amazing Eyes

If I could have the pick of any grandparents in the entire world, I would have picked my mom's parents. They are two of the most sincere, generous, loving, giving, kind people I have ever met. My mom of course tells us they weren't always like that, but watching them shows me how I want to be. They continue to be in as much love as the day they were married. When I was first married, grandma told me she was still getting to know my grandpa. They know each other so well though, I can't imagine there are things they don't know about each other yet.

Many years ago my grandma started having problems with her vision. She was diagnosed with macular degeneration. It is a progressive disease of the eyes. It comes in one of two forms. One form has some treatments that can help, the other form as of yet has no treatment. Grandma has the later. She has always been one to sew, crochet, knit, and bake. One of her favorite things to do is geneology. Many years ago when you would call grandma to see how she was, she would frequenly say, "Well, I found a new line today."

With her failing eye sight, she has had to give up some of these things. This past week she informed us that she had finished some blankets for the twins. As you can see, she uses a magnifying glass with bright lights to help her see. Grandpa bought larger and larger monitors for Grandma so she could still work on her family history. I think though, it has slowed down a bit. A few years ago, my mom made an embroidery friendship sampler and had all of us add something to it. Grandma added something too. You can see one very small mistake, but the fact that she did it, makes it extremely special. I don't know how bad her vision really is because she does so well with things. I know depth is something that is hard for her because she needs help with steps. I love showing her new things though because she will comment on how beautiful something is or how much she likes the color.

Grandma is not one to complain. She tells me often that complaining won't change anything. She does get discouraged, but doesn't let it slow her down. She is 86 years old, but it doesn't show. She still makes her famous gingerbread cookies every year for Christmas (now with grandpa's help). She makes the best pies and rolls for Thanksgiving. She is the first one to ask what help people need. She and grandpa just got home from a week at the cabin. They attend the Temple once a week. They are grateful for every little thing in their lives.

My father was set apart as Bishop in our ward today. It was a wonderful day full of family and friends. I truly was blessed with a great family! As I was sitting in church waiting for the meeting to start, my grandma walked in. I was holding one of the twins. Grandma said "well hello Scooter". Most people can't tell them apart, yet grandma who can barely see can. When I asked her about it, she said he leans and brother doesn't. This is something I had never noticed before. Because her vision is so limited, she has found ways to see things.

I will forever be grateful for my grandparents for their love of life and their love of the Gospel. They truly are examples to me of how I want to live my life.

No comments: