Just so you don’t think we have fallen off the face of the earth, I thought we had better post something. Our life sort of turns into a bit of a zoo at this time of year. While this is true for many reasons, the main reason is the Utah State Fair. It seems we just get back into the grind of school, mom has a seminar or two she has just returned from or has to prepare for, and the normal everyday tasks to deal with that keep our lives busy. Then throw in preparing for and working the concerts and other events every night at the state fair besides everything else we have going on – makes for a crazy 10 days.

Dad is the supervisor over grandstand seating. We all work for him (except Hyrum, who gets to stay home with the kiddos). Mom, Elizabeth and I help take tickets at the gate. Caroline helps with ushering and even got to moonlight as a ticket taker/stamper this year. We had some fun concerts this year – we even had one of our former ushers come back as one of the entertainers which was so surreal. This year we had a former American Idol contestant, Country Gold Legends, local LDS artists, and a 80’s Southern Rock band. But our biggest show by far was Boys II Men. Although the concert was free, they gave away every available ticket so it was in affect sold out. Who knew? They were popular when I first went away to college.

The fair ended yesterday, and we are all still trying to recover. At this point, we always ask ourselves why we decided to do it again but this was dad’s 39th year and it is tradition. I love spending this time with my family (not that I don’t get to see them every single day anyway). I have seen hundreds and hundreds of concerts over the years through this job. Every year at this point I say to myself never again because I am so exhausted, but when the schedule comes out, I sign right up.
No comments:
Post a Comment